How to stay motivated at work – a journalist rang and asked for some suggestions on this topic, here are some great ideas, which ones would you like to try first?
How to stay motivated at work 1-5
- Decide to like your job and the work that you do – give yourself a sense of purpose for going to your workplace each day. If you expect to have a good day you probably will. It’s all part of having a positive attitude.
- Be clear on what you are doing and why – how your work contributes to the wider business objectives
- Create your to do list the night before so you can focus as soon as you get to the /workplace.
- Celebrate your successes – and with big tasks this can be steps along the way, like ticking off items on your ‘to do’ list
- Take short breaks, such as 5-10 minutes every hour – review your progress, grab some water, walk about, tidy your desk,
How to stay motivated at work 6-10
- Think about all the times you have helped people – they may not thank you, but you know
- Start the day well with your exercise to give you the energy to complete your key objectives
- Spend time with co-workers – we all want to have some socialising and it gives us a chance to take our mind away from a complex task.
- Set high standards, and hold yourself to them – leads to being seen as great by others and gives you self-respect
- Set yourself (stretch) goals. Have a plan of where you want to go and work towards it and work out how you will reward/treat yourself
How to stay motivated at work 10-15
- Focus on one task as a time – when we multi-task we have too many distractions. Prioritise and clear one task, then move on
- Make sure there’s more to life than work. Make sure that work isn’t the only focus of your life – have interests outside of work.
- Play to your strengths – and stop trying to work on your weaknesses
- Get feedback – if it’s not forthcoming from others ask them for it. You could schedule a regular check-in meeting to review progress
- Seek to enlarge and enrich your job – too much of the same old routine can be boring, and you may benefit from having more autonomy. You can also look to get involved in cross functional working/ project teams
How to stay motivated at work 15-18
- Remind yourself of your great points – at the end of each day celebrate everything you have achieved and write them down so you can review them again
- Stand up for yourself – if you are having a bad time perhaps because of unacceptable behaviour from others, call them out and tell them. You may want to rehearse with a friend.
- Take your holidays and properly switch off – so you can come back recharged and re-energised
How to stay motivated at work – so what will you try first?